OK…the end of 2007 is nigh and although there are still two healthy weeks left I have decided to put out my ‘Best Of” list now instead of spending my New Year’s Eve huddled over a keyboard since I’d rather be drink in hand trying to make that Terry Richardson clown puzzle sign Ole’ Lang Syne. (Maybe that’s an image best put out of your mind ASAP.)
So here are my favorites in an attempted order with five Honorable Mentions. Now mind you I haven’t seen ALL of the books that were published in 2007 so I’m sure I’m missing a few gems. Regardless, all of these titles made me think about photography in new ways even if some held firm to convention.
Favorite Books of 2007
1. Shimmer of Possibility by Paul Graham (Steidl)
2. Scrapbook by Henri Cartier-Bresson (Steidl)
A great study of Bresson. Perfect package.
3. The Park by Kohei Yoshiyuki (Hatje Cantz)
4. On the Beach by Richard Misrach (Aperture)
5. Putting Back the Wall by John Gossage (Loosestrife Editions)
Haven’t written about this one yet but it is a must see.
6. United States 1970-1976 by Jacob Holdt (Steidl)
7. Suzi Et Cetera by Boris Mikhailov (Walther Konig)
8. LA Waiting, Sitting...by Anthony Hernandez (Loosestrife Editions)
9. Some Afrikaners Revisited by David Goldblatt (Umuzi)
10. Passing Through
1. Hackney Flowers by Stephen Gill (Nobody)
The first time I was provoked to buy one of Stephen’s books. I will feature this one at some point. Lightyears better than the more desired and over-hyped Hackney Wick.
2. Me and My Brother by Robert Frank (Steidl)
3. An American Index of the Hidden and Unfamiliar by Taryn Simon (Steidl)
Intriguing book that challenges my usual suspicion of text and image. Elegant design and presentation.
4. This Is War! by Robert Capa (ICP/Steidl)
Never featured this but I pick it up frequently and I am always surprised at how much I enjoy it.
Favorite Discoveries of 2007
This is a list of my favorite discoveries of the year. ‘Favorite Discoveries’ are books by artists I either didn’t know about or artists whose work I knew but did not expect I would enjoy as much as I have. Not all of the following titles were released in 2007 but that’s when I discovered them and this is my list so I make the rules.
1. Interregna by John Pilson (Hatje Cantz)
2. Photoworks 1982-2006 by Joachim Schmid (Steidl)
3. Memory of Pablo Escobar by James Mollison (Chris Boot Ltd)
4. The American War by Harrell Fletcher (J&L Books)
5. Zwischenzeit by Roland Schneider (Der Alltag)
6. The Day to Day Life of Albert Hastings by Kaylynn Deveney (
7. On Duty by
8. I Am A Real Photographer by Keith Arnett (Chris Boot Ltd)
9. Slipstream by Patrick O’Hare (Self-Published/Shared Ink)
10. Irish Travellers by Alen Machesney (
11. Ball Nights 1934-1950 by Jakob Tuggener (SCALO)
12. Pornografie by Klaus Staeck (Steidl)
14. Tempo Tempo by Marianne Brandt (Jovis)
15. Miroslav Tichy (
Best Historical Books of 2007
The following are five of my favorite historical collections from the year.
1. Foto: Modernity in Eastern Europe (
Great catalog that set me on the trail of another dozen artists I didn’t know existed. I will probably feature this early next year. Very handsome volume with hundreds of illustrations.
2. Books of Nudes (Abrams)
3. Art and the American Snapshot (NGA/PUP)
4. Dreaming in Black and White (PMA/Yale)
5. Dada (DAP)
This one is an oldie from 2005 but I bought it this year and I love it so much I am slipping it in to this list. Fine reproductions and well written texts all contained in this great catalog from the exhibition. A must have study of one of the most creative and influential time periods and movements.
I punished my bank account and shelves this year with well over 100 new additions/editions to the 5B4
Happy Holidays…Mr. Whiskets and Jeff
Book Available Here (The Park)
Book Available Here (On The Beach)
Book Available Here (Putting Back the Wall)
Book Available Here (Suzi Et Cetera)
Book Available Here (LA Waiting Sitting...)
Book Available Here (Hackney Flowers)
Book Available Here (Interregna)
Book Available Here (Memory of Pablo Escobar)
Book Available Here (American War)
Book Available Here (Day to Day Life of Albert Hastings)
Book Available Here (I am a Real Photographer)
Book Available Here (Irish Travellers)
Book Available Here (Ball Nights 1934-1950)
Book Available Here (Tempo, Tempo)
Book Available Here (Miroslav Tichy)
Book Available Here (Foto)
Book Available Here (Books of Nudes)
Book Available Here (Art of the American Snapshot)
Book Available Here (Dada)
Book Available Here (HCB Scrapbook)
Book Available Here (Passing Through Eden)
Book Available Here (American Index of the Hidden and Unfamiliar)
Book Available Here (My America)
Book Available Here (On Duty)
Book Available Here (Paris)